Recognizing The People that Make The Haliburton Highlands Great
By: Andrea Strano, President | January 15, 2020
Welcome to my first ever edition of the #BuyCloseBy Blog.
As Chamber President, when I was asked to do this feature, I jumped at the opportunity. The #BuyCloseBy project is one that I find professionally and personally important, as well as rewarding!
As a local realtor, I know very well the benefits of leveraging local experience and expertise in my trade – locals know the details like for example, which lakes have motor restrictions, shoreline quality and ecology and the by-laws that relate to your waterfront, or areas of the County that suffer from a lack of cell phone and internet service. What we may not realize is that supporting local has other benefits…
In Support of Economic Development…
As part of our ongoing networking functions at Chamber, we had Catherine Oosterbaan come and discuss the ways that we can each support Community Economic Development. Supporting your local businesses (#BuyCloseBy) was noted as an important part of Community Economic Development as it helps to keep our locally earned dollars within our community. Economics aside, it’s important for me to support our local enterprises because I know that they are integral to the social fabric of this community. #BuyCloseBy means a strong set of donations in support of our local kid’s sports’ teams, a vibrancy in our downtown areas, and more shops, goods and services for us all to enjoy.
Recognition is key…
How can we make sure our businesses, organizations and people feel supported and encouraged as they work so hard for us day in, day out? After all, 62% of business owners feel depressed at least once a week! The entrepreneurial life is not for the faint-hearted. To this end, every year, the Chamber puts on the Business and Community Achievement Awards to bring much-needed recognition to the businesses, organizations and people that help to make Haliburton County a wonderful place to be.
We have 11 wonderful Awards to give away.
1) Innovation & Creativity Award: for that business that has done unique and exciting things to grow their business;
2) Customer First – Employee Award: for that employee that delivered amazing customer service;
3) Customer First – Business Award: for that business where every employee is a part of delivering a wonderful customer service experience;
4) Skilled Trades & Industry Award: for the enterprise that spent 2019 excelling in trade skill development, quality craftsmanship, providing wonderful service sustainably;
5) New Business of the Year Award: for that new business (1 to 3 years old) that was created or reformulated to meet a market need in the Haliburton Highlands;
6) Young Professional of the Year Award: for that young person (under 35) that contributed to the overall wellbeing of the community, and exhibits great potential for leadership;
7) Tourism & Hospitality Award: for that wonderful business that contributed to the backbone of our tourist-based economy, improving the allure of the area to tourists and residents;
8) Entrepreneur of the Year Award: for someone who demonstrates a commitment to their business with adaptability, vision, creativity, and enthusiasm;
9) Highlander of the Year Award: for that citizen that contributes in an exceptional way to the community of the Haliburton Highlands;
10) Not-for-Profit of the Year: for the group that provides outstanding programs, services, or campaigns that support the needs of the community;
11) Business Achievement Award: recognizes that business that maintains a healthy and progressive workplace, while achieving great things in their industry.
So, when you think of your experiences in 2019, what business, organization or person do you think deserves to be recognized in these categories?
We had over 120 nominations last year, and this year we hope to increase that number. Every nominee is a part of the celebration with exclusive coverage with our Chamber media partners, and many other promotional opportunities.
I sincerely hope you can participate in this unique initiative that brings together the community and businesses for one night of celebration. We will be collecting nominations until March 2nd, 2020 and the Awards Ceremony will be held on April 4th, 2020.
Help us to promote the people that make the Haliburton Highlands a great place to work, live and play by nominating today.
Wishing you all the best,
Haliburton Highlands Chamber of Commerce